The LOA Power of a Done List

March 27, 2012 | 23 Comments »

the law of attraction power of a done listIf you’re a deliberate creator using a to-do list, this post from Lifehack might convert you to a whole new habit.

The article suggests that to-do lists don’t work for a variety of reasons, and that done lists serve us better by:

• showing real results that bring all sorts of positive feelings and energy
  • focusing on tangible results that provides incentive to keep going
  • offering the gift of perspective and allowing you to review your day better
  • and making it easier to celebrate your accomplishments.

I was intrigued after reading the post last month, but didn’t do anything with it.

A week or so later I found myself with a long mental list of things wanting attention, so I freed up the brain space by getting everything down on a to-do list.

A long to-do list.

Every time I looked at that thing, even though almost every item in itself was fairly enjoyable, the long list was a bit discouraging.  After a couple days of working on it, it seemed like it was just perpetuating more things that needed doing.

Which would make sense – since law of attraction would draw in more things to do.

My never-ending compilation of things to get done was beginning to weigh on me!

That’s when I remembered the idea of a Done List.

So I started a new list – of things that getting done.  Immediately I felt a huge swoosh of relief … and even some pride and delight!

I went from feeling overwhelmed and not-making-progress to feeling productive and in-charge!  I was getting things done left and right and felt so efficient and on top of things!

It wasn’t even that I was doing more than usual – rather, the difference was in spotlighting things getting handled.

Although I wouldn’t be surprised to learn my productivity was up, too.  Since like attracts like and all.

Of course, I was sure to include on my Done List enjoyable things like dog walks and reading time, so it wasn’t all business.  (But really, my business is having a good time, so that stuff totally belongs there anyway.)

My suggestion: next time you’re feeling overwhelmed with things to do, play with a done list and see if it shifts your vibe, too.

Jeannette Maw is the LOA party host at Good Vibe U and co-founder of Good Vibe Astrology. Subscribe to her Good Vibe newsletter here. Connect on Google+.

Tags: ,

23 Responses to “ The LOA Power of a Done List ”

1. Nat Couropmitree on March 27, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I just like how it feels to say that I have a Done list. Another vibe shift that I’ve been sharing with my clients is to say that their list is a CHOOSE-to-do list vs. a HAVE-to-do list. It feels more empowering to say that you’re choosing to do something vs. saying that something is forcing you to have to do it.

Thanks for another great post Jeannette!

2. Good Vibe Coach on March 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm

That is definitely a helpful tip when working with a to-do list, Nat. Thanks for sharing!

3. Janette on March 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm

OMG this is BRILLIANT!!!

I solved my initial overwhelming to-do problem by doing that same first step…. putting absolutely all the items into a single undated to-do list. It freed up my brain but you’re right, it becomes overwhelming in itself. (My solution was to simply stop looking at it – boy, did THAT feel like some big relief LOL!!). So I really like this pro-active idea!

It’s so easy to forget what we’ve accomplished. Yesterday afternoon when I was prepping to cook dinner, I caught myself feeling like I’d wasted the afternoon. I’d come home from an appointment at 1.30pm and now here it was 5pm – where had the time gone?? I knew I’d been having fun, yes, but doing what?

Oh.

Right.

I did a big edit and rewrite on the e-book I’m creating. And I forgot. Just for a moment – but long enough to miss the huge satisfaction of completing the next draft.

I’m a huge fan of Evernote, which I use to capture ideas for blog posts when I’m out and about. So implementing a Done List using that technology is going to be an easy breezy new habit to form. I can’t wait!!! In fact, I’m heading over there now to add a new Notebook called “Done It!”

Woohoo!!!!

4. Good Vibe Coach on March 27, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I know what you mean, Janette – it seems a little easy to under-credit ourselves with exactly what we’ve accomplished. I feel like my “Done List” could also be called “Check Me Out!” lol Cause that’s how it makes me feel – fabulous!!

Thanks for reading and for posting, my friend.

5. Good Vibe Coach on March 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Shoot, I’m getting a boost myself just in reading YOUR list, Sue! lol

This stuff really works!! :)

6. Ashley on March 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I love this! AND it is so timely.

I have carried a day planner for 20 years and swear by a to-do list. It frees my brain up so I don’t keep playing a what I need to remember over and over in my head however today I didn’t get much of my to-do list checked off. It was frustrating! Overall though I got a ton of stuff done that wasn’t on my list and it is no small done list either.

I’m going to still write a short to-do list, just the things that I absolutely need to remember to do for clients but nothing else on it. My concentration is going to be writing down all the things that I do all throughout the day. It feels good just thinking about it.

Thanks Jeanette for another brilliant post.

7. Good Vibe Coach on March 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

That’s what was happening to me, too, Ashley … I was doing stuff that wasn’t on my to do list and it was keeping me from feeling the progress I so clearly deserved. hee hee

And I agree, there is still a place for a to-do list in my world – for those times my brain starts to worry something will slip through the cracks.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with on this one, Ashley! Nice to hear from you, as usual!

8. ChipEFT on March 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Never underestimate the power of positive contrast. That is don’t be afraid to look back to see how far you come.

9. Shannon on March 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Would this work to write your “to do list” as if it’s already done? i.e. – Email Jeannette about project to “Emailed Jeannette about project and she’s on board!” Or find grant writer to “Found grant writer and she’s awesome!” I still have to get the list out of my head – would it work to formulate it as “done and successful?” Thoughts?

10. Sue on March 27, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Saw “the artist ” with friends
    Cooked a great supper
    Ordered my sister in laws bday gift
    Called a client back
    Took care of taxes
    DONE
    It does feel so good!
    Thanks Jeanette!

11. ChipEFT on March 27, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Shannon,

If the thought of doing that feels expansive, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

12. Good Vibe Coach on March 27, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Nicely said, Chip.

And Shannon!! You and are on the same page! After I played with this done list the first time, I soon after felt the inspiration to make up a done list. I even posted it in the GVU forums!

It was fun fun fun! Like another form of pray rain journaling, right? I say have fun with it!

13. Kelly on March 28, 2012 at 6:33 am

Another benefit of do it/ done is how we move mindfully through doubt and resistance- past worry , shoulda/ coulda and have tos.

14. Denise Canellos on March 28, 2012 at 8:50 am

The site I Done This is fantastic. Every evening you get an email asking what you got done that day, and each morning you get reminders of all you have accomplished in past days, weeks, whatever. You can set up what you like. It is a real boost to see how productive I have really been.

15. Good Vibe Coach on March 28, 2012 at 10:44 am

I hadn’t even realized that benefit, Kelly! You’re right!

Denise, thank you for the tip to visit the site. I hadn’t actually done that – but will now with thanks to you for the inspiration.

(ha – love their motto: “inch by inch, anything’s a cinch”) https://idonethis.com/

16. Anonymous on March 28, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I know I probably sound like a dork but… I’m just trying to get this straight. Do you make your “done” list at the end of the day so you can see what you’ve done off of your to do list (or if you have bigger projects – you can see all the little steps you’ve already taken to get there)?

17. PS on March 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Some of us are up the ‘Tadah’ List creek without a paddle, please give us more details?! Thank you!:o)

18. Good Vibe Coach on March 28, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I’d love to hear how others practice it, but the way I’ve been leveraging the Done List is to add to it throughout the day, so I get the energetic lift of seeing it grow as the day moves on, and have a nice list to reflect on at the end of the day.

I actually don’t erase it until I’ve got something new to put on it the next day.

For example, my list tonight includes:

emails
    workout
    patio relax time
    yard work
    delivery to corporate client
    Vibe Rx site update

what seems super powerful about this process for me are 3 things:

1) logging a success even if it’s just one step in the process of a bigger project
    2) recording enjoyable things and vibe work, not just “work” things (I don’t want to risk minimizing the importance of goof off time and managing the vibe via scripting, visioning, etc.) and
    3) don’t record so many things that I get exhausted looking at the daily done list. (I left off things like daily cleaning & food prep & such.)

I’ll tell you what – that list helps me feel more on top of things and more productive than when I didn’t keep it!

There was a segment this afternoon where I had four things I wanted to get done and two hours to do it – so to make sure I didn’t get distracted I jotted those four things down on a list to keep me on track.

So combining the to-do list and done list seems pretty easy to me. :)

19. Julie Masters on March 30, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I agree Jeannette, about combining the two, as there are things that I really WANT to do, that I can get sidetracked from doing, if I don’t have a “to do” list to look at periodically. But I have noticed that the “done” list actually can keep me more in the present moment.

For example, I’ll receive an unexpected call, and find myself thinking, “Oh, hurry up already, I have things to DO”, and then will remember, “Oh, goody, something valuable to put on my “done” list!!
    Not that I should let myself be distracted, but that sometimes those unexpected moments are significant, important, or just delightful surprises, plain and simple–And I’m all for more of those!!!

Julie

20. MissyB on April 1, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Love it, love it….LOVE IT !

Love I done this website too…

21. Jerry Ackerman on April 3, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Hi, Thank you for sharing this great insights. The LOA Power of a Done List, it certainly helps motivate you to do the Long list. Instead of feeling frustrated by how long the list that needs to be done, the Done list makes you optimistic that in time you can get things done as well. Keep on posting, this shared thoughts are very helpful.

22. Nathalie on April 3, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Wow! I can’t wait to try this out! I just launched a new business last month, and it just seems like my “To Do” lists are expanding exponentially. I never thought about making up a “Done!” list to celebrate everything I’ve already accomplished. Might give me the boost I need on days when I start feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. You know what… I think I might even turn mine into a note to myself from the Universe (à la Mike Dooley) and start of with something like:

“Dear Nathalie, you awesome creature, you! Just look at the freaking impossible mass of stuff you’ve gotten done: [list of done items here] And *all this* you accomplished in *only one month*?!? You totally rock, babe! Can’t wait to see what you come up with next! Love, The Universe XO”

Think Mike Dooley would approve? LOL!!! :-)

23. Linda Bucher on April 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm

For years I’ve been chucking my To-Do list in favor of my Ta-Da list. It’s all in a vowel (and a corresponding vibration). “Alex, I’d like to buy an A, please.”

My Free Ebook: from Amazon’s Top 10 List

Download here to also get my rave review newsletter.

Get New Posts Emailed