Your Feel Good Playlist

May 31, 2012 | 28 Comments »

feel good playlist“You are born with a melody in your brain, a song capable of keeping you balanced, bringing you peace from within and shaping your neurochemistry.”

That’s Sting writing about how our favorite songs can bring positive change into everyday life.

Which many of us practice to a certain extent already, but it’s worth getting very deliberate about leveraging the power of music to shift the vibe.

From the book Your Playlist Can Change Your Life, the authors share that science documents “the profound influence of music on your physical, psychological, and spiritual well-being.”

They say music can be used to trigger various mental states, which is why your playlist can help “cleanse your mind of negative and unwanted thoughts and emotions, making it easier to reach goals, maintain alertness, and achieve an all-encompassing calm.”

No surprise, right?  We inherently know the power of music to affect our vibrational state – so I imagine most of us already have a playlist for feeling good.

And if you don’t, it’s high time!  This is easy and fun vibe management methodology here.  :)

This post is inspired by a reader who recently asked me to share my feel good playlist, after she read this piece about Songs for Manifesters.

I actually have several playlists designed to make me feel better depending on where I’m at on the vibrational scale.  One is called Chill Out (to use when tense or when it’s time to dial down), one named Life Is Good (for enhancing the feel good vibe), another titled It’ll Be Okay (for when I’m down), and a fun one called Get Busy (for quality time with a sweetie).

My ipod also sports a Wake Up playlist, an SHB list (for amping up the sexy), one to get the confidence up for presenting to a group, and a few others.

I’ll share a few selections from my Life Is Good playlist, but I’m most interested in getting new tips on great songs from you all:

• Will Smith – Gettin’ Jiggy With It
  • Tesla – Getting Better
  • Steppenwolf – Magic Carpet Ride
  • Pat Benatar – All Fired Up
  • Lifehouse – Everything
  • Kid Rock – All Summer Long
  • James Brown – I Feel Good
  • Fatboy Slim – Right Here Right Now
  • Diddy Dirty Money – Hello Good Morning
  • Cat Stevens – Peace Train
  • Adam Lambert – Feelin’ Good
  • Bee Gees – Saturday Night Fever
  • Jason Aldean – Dirt Road Anthem

We know music is a personal thing and what one person loves may make another wince, but there’s still lots of benefit in sharing our favorites.

So … what’s on your feel good playlist?

Jeannette Maw is the LOA party host at GVU and publisher of the rave reviewed Good Vibe newsletter, which you can subscribe to here.

Tags: ,

28 Responses to “ Your Feel Good Playlist ”

1. Erin on May 31, 2012 at 12:10 pm

The Sound of Sunshine by Michael Franti!

2. Good Vibe Coach on May 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Just got tipped off to a “My Fabulous Life” list compiled on Charismatic Woman’s facebook page:

One Republic – Good Life
    LMFAO – Sexy and I Know It
    LMFAO – Party Rock Anthem
    EWF – September
    Missy Higgins – Steer
    Kool and the Gang – Celebrate

3. Katy Lowe on May 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Oh let’s see-I’m all over the place

ELO – Don’t Bring Me Down
    Partridge Family – I think I love you
    Cat Stevens – Peace Train
    Michael Jackson – Billie Jean
    The Emotions – Best of My Love
    Michael Buble – Everything
    Young MC – Bust A Move
    Gene Kelly – I’m Singing in the Rain
    Beatles – Here Comes The Sun

Lots more..but these come to mind and make me smile!

4. Good Vibe Coach on May 31, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Erin! Katy, love the variety – and forgot to put Bust a Move on my shuffle! I think that’s a universal feel good song, right? lol

5. GorgeouSophie on May 31, 2012 at 3:23 pm

This made me cry, wrings your heart but hope, again, springs eternal & music rhymes with miracles…pinched of Imelda’s blog, a GVU member & LOA coach in Brighton, a beautiful seaside town in the UK.

If you desire to partake, please do so, I shall see what I can do myself

6. Caroline on May 31, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Bill Withers – Lovely Day
    Thank you all for sharing your uplifting selections, it’s all I listen to!

7. Rawr on May 31, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Matisyahu – King without a crown
    Marky Mark – Good Vibrations
    Gloria Estefan – Conga
    Gabrielle – Dreams can come true

8. Cat on May 31, 2012 at 6:40 pm

General Vibe-Lifters (My actual playlist is titled “LIVE! – Anthems to Inspire”):
    Rob Thomas – Little Wonders, Someday
    Grant Lee Phillips – Good Morning Happiness
    Alyssa Bonagura – I Make My Own Sunshine
    Josh Groban – Thankful

Vibe-Lifters for Love(“LOVE! – Songs to Deepen”):
    Nickelback – Gotta Be Somebody [definitely an LOA song]
    Michael Buble – Haven’t Met You Yet [this one too]
    Josh Groban – In Her Eyes, When You Say You Love Me, You Are Loved (Don’t Give Up), and For Always
    Secret Garden (or any of the other few dozen artists who’ve covered it) – You Raise Me Up
    Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You
    Laura Pausini – Surrender [reminds me somewhat of David Deida's work]
    Dana Glover – It is You (I Have Loved)
    Gloria Estefan – Path of the Right Love [great LOA quote by Mother Meera at the end!]

Both lists are always growing… I’ll check out everyone else’s suggestions, too! :-)

9. Cat on May 31, 2012 at 6:59 pm

General positive songs (my actual playlist is called “LIVE! – Anthems to Inspire”):
    Nickelback – If Everyone Cared, If Today Was Your Last Day, When We Stand Together [three songs]
    Rob Thomas – Little Wonders, Someday
    Katy Perry – Firework
    Smash Mouth – All Star
    Natasha Bedingfield – Unwritten
    Kris Allen – Live Like We’re Dying
    Delta Goodrem – In This Life
    Gary Jules – Something Else
    Sarah McLachlan – Ordinary Miracle
    Celine Dion – The Power of the Dream
    Selena Gomez – Who Says
    Demi Lavato – This Is Real, This Is Me [one song]
    Grant Lee Phillips – Good Morning Happiness [I think I heard this on an episode of “Bones”]
    Alyssa Bonagura – I Make My Own Sunshine [from a Lowe’s commercial]

Raising the vibe on love (“LOVE! – Songs to Deepen”):
    Nickelback – Gotta Be Somebody [this one and the next are real LOA songs]
    Michael Bublé – Haven’t Met You Yet
    Josh Groban – In Her Eyes, When You Say You Love Me, You Are Loved [this one could go equally well in the “LIVE!” playlist], and For Always
    Dana Glover – It Is You (I Have Loved)
    Laura Pausini – Surrender [reminds me of David Deida’s work, if you can be loose with the interpretation of it]
    Savage Garden – I Knew I Loved You [this one’s got a pretty good LOA theme, too]
    And “You Raise Me Up” by whoever your favorite artist is (whoever they are, they’ve probably covered this one ). I like the Secret Garden version because it’s the only one I’ve ever heard with the second verse.

Both lists are still growing… I’ll probably add half the stuff people mention here, so thanks!

10. Ashley on May 31, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Oh Fun!

It’s all about singing while driving.

The Cure – Just Like Heaven
    Allman Bros. Band – Dreams
    Lynyrd Skynyrd – I Ain’t the One
    Allman Bros. Band – Blue Sky
    Toots Hibbert – Pressure Drop
    Toots Hibbert – Sweet & Dandy
    Aerosmith – Dueces Are Wild

Thank you – This was so much fun!

11. Ashley on May 31, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Oh Fun!

For me it is all about driving and singing at the top of my lungs.

The Cure – Just Like Heaven
    General Public – Tenderness
    REM – Radio Free Europe
    U2 – Beautiful Day
    U2- Pride (The is nothing like Edge’s guitar that sends chills through me)
    David Bowie – Modern Love
    Madonna – Get Into the Groove
    C&C Music Factory – Everybody Dance Now
    Lenny Kravitz – Are You Gonna Go My Way
    Prince – Let’s Go Crazy
    Billy Idol – Dancing With Myself
    Bob Marley – Is This Love
    Jimmy Cliff – Many Rivers to Cross
    Toots Hibbert – Sweet & Dandy
    Toots Hibbert – Pressure Drop
    Allman Bros. Band – Dreams
    Allman Bros. Band – Blue Sky
    Lynyrd Skynyrd – I Ain’t the One
    And I saved the best for last – Meatloaf – Paradise By the Dashboard Light

Thank you! This was loads of fun!

12. Karen on May 31, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Wow, I am totally loving everyone’s lists! I’ve discovered some really great new songs from what’s here so far. Thank you to everyone.
    For when I want to amp up my energy (on my way to work for example):
    Mary Chapin Carpenter—I Feel Lucky
    Grand Funk Railroad—Some Kind of Wonderful
    Black Eyed Peas—I Gotta Feeling
    Santana—Winning
    Robert Randolph and the Family Band—Thrill of It
    The Asteroids Galaxy Tour—Around the Bend
    Bon Jovi—It’s My Life
    Dropkick Murphys—Sunshine Highway
    The Kinks—Victoria (live version– soooo superior to the studio version, the crowd energy really transforms the song)
    R.E.M.—Superman

For the times I need to clear my head of negative thoughts:
    Shania Twain—Today is Your Day
    Matisyahu—One Day
    Jefferson Starship—Count on Me
    Jason Mraz—The Remedy (I Won’t Worry)

ABBA is always a guaranteed way to get myself out of a funk—how can anyone listen to Waterloo and not sing along?!

13. Good Vibe Coach on May 31, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Am loving seeing everyone’s lists! And picking up a couple of new additions that I hadn’t thought to include, as well as getting introduced to great tunes I didn’t know.

Thank you guys! :)

14. Stacy | Your Mobile Marketing on June 1, 2012 at 3:04 am

I got a giggle out of the first song you mentioned, Jeannette. Will Smith’s (we share the same birthday – Sept. 25 – which isn’t that the day after yours?) Gettin’ Jiggy With It. I was just thinking of that song because earlier in May marked 14 years since the day I graduated college. And on that day, while standing in line to go up on stage to get my diploma, I had “Gettin’ Jiggy With It” stuck in my head and I was doing the little shimmy thing that goes along with that song as I was in line.

Whenever I hear or think of that song it reminds me of that very happy day.

On another point – sometime back I had a little mp3 player that I put some of my favorite songs on – my favorite HAPPY/feel good songs. Those ran the gamut from “Reproduction” from the Grease 2 soundtrack to “Hakuna Mata” from the Lion King soundtrack to obvious ones like “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” and “Uptown Girl” by Billy Joel and a ton others that I’m blanking on right now.

I have known for a long time that there are few things better than putting one in a good mood than really belting out some tunes. I get in music moods where I just want to stay up all night singing to my favorite songs and soak in those vibes.

Not quite the same as music, but it could be just audio – I love comedy and funny stuff. I have a huge folder of those old Bud Lite radio commercials (and I don’t even like beer at all), ie. Real Men of Genius. I still crack up over ones such as “Mr. Really Bad Toupee Wearer”. And I love stand up comedy. I’ve been known to listen to it on Sirius radio and get to laughing so hard while I’m driving I am doubled over with tears streaming down my face.

Interesting side note: I met Jeff Foxworthy the other night! Nice guy!

15. Good Vibe Coach on June 1, 2012 at 7:14 am

Stacy, you’re making me remember another’s list (who emailed it to me) that had exclusively nature sounds on it. Talk about a feel good tune, huh?!

16. Janette on June 1, 2012 at 7:33 am

My playlists change all the time LOL – low boredom threshold! But I have maybe a half dozen guaranteed go-to songs that will always raise a smile:

Missy Higgins – Steer
    P!nk – F*cking Perfect
    Lady Gaga – Born This Way
    Smashmouth – All Star
    Jesse J – Price Tag
    Louis Armstrong – Wonderful World

Mmm…. :-D

17. Christina - Manifesting Cookies on June 1, 2012 at 8:06 am

I have a playlist on Grooveshark that I listen to at home. I have most songs on my Ipod but I need to get more. I am loving everyone’s suggestions and will be adding to my playlist. I got a lot of ideas from the post you did before about positive music.

Here’s a blog post I did that shares my Groovshark playlist. (Warning:if at work, turn down the volume, it does start to play automatically)

I’m going to add more songs, though. I love Glee, and I have found that the Broadway songs they do sometimes really hit me.

Defying Gravity from Wicked
    Something’s Coming from West Side Story

I know there’s more, though.

My next favorite is Kenny Chesney / Tim McGraw’s Feel Like a Rockstar. That’s a definite one that will be added soon.

18. Kim Falconer on June 2, 2012 at 3:47 am

Okay, a short list but these are major vibe lifters for me!

New Shoes – Paolo Nutini – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmbUNF1Q4R8

GETTING SOME FUN OUT OF LIFE – MADELEINE PEYROUX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrO2ir-BubE

Walking on Sunshine – Thrillbilly Stomp

19. Good Vibe Coach on June 2, 2012 at 11:48 am

Love New Shoes!!!! Adding it!!

Thanks for the Grooveshark reminder/tip, Christina. And for including one from the country artists – I noticed my list was short on those.

Janette, I wouldn’t have pegged you for a Gaga fan. ;)

20. Mariette on June 4, 2012 at 1:55 am

One song that I really love is by a Swedish group called Timberville, It’s called “Enjoy The Ride”.
    I cant find it on Youtube but they have a sample from it on Amazon

and it is sooo Abraham!!!!

“..baby lets go down this road in stride, enjoy the ride. I’ve been upstreams, there’s nothing there, upstreams, it aint worth it.. Now I’m not afraid to try this once again. I’m going downstreams, go with the flow…”

Glee cast – Love you like a lovesong
    The beat makes me happy and I like this version better than the original.

Lady Gaga – Edge Of Glory

The wonderful and amazing voice of
    Joss Stone – Put your hands on me baby

Kelly Clarkson – Stronger

Jessie J – Domino

21. Leah on June 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Hi Jeanette…

Rob Breszny suggest that we listen to a blasting copy of our “fierce” song as soon as you get up, everyday this week and see what happens.

ground shake – dirty radio
    perfect day – Hoku
    the middle – Jimmy eat World
    Big Wheels – Down with Webster
    Screaming bloody murder – Sum41
    Wrecking Ball – Mother Mother
    Titanium – David Guetta
    I remember – Deadmau5 and Kaskade
    Drive by Incubus

I’m just having a hard time deciding what my fierce song is…

22. Christina - Manifesting Cookies on June 6, 2012 at 7:24 am

I heard this on the radio the other day and had to add it to the list.

Pink – Perfect.

The video is amazing.

23. Leah on June 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

Found my fierce….

Clear by Kardinal Offishal

amazeballs!

24. Good Vibe Coach on June 6, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Never heard that tip from Rob before, Leah. Thanks for sharing it!

(And love that you found your fierce! ha ha)

Thanks, Christina, for suggesting the video. It’s amazing how much more impact a song can have with the right visual accompaniment.

25. Marquina Rawlings on June 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hi Jeannette,

I saw a link to this blog post and could not help but want to share! :D

I don’t have my playlist physically set up yet (will get with my son for that), but here goes:

Lose Yourself – Eminem (from the 8 Mile soundtrack)
    Whatcha Waitin’ For? – Gwen Stefani
    Stomp – The Brothers Johnson (I had always thought this was an Earth, Wind & Fire song, but I was wrong!)
    Boogie Wonderland – Earth, Wind & Fire
    Live Your Life – Yuna
    Butterfly Surprise – Shifty
    Remember the Time – Michael Jackson
    Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ – Michael Jackson
    Butterflies – Michael Jackson
    Please Don’t Stop the Music – Rihanna
    Paparazzi – Lady Gaga
    Just about everything on John Mayer’s Room For Squares album
    Beautiful Day – U2
    Vertigo – U2
    Holiday – Green Day
    Drop Me in the Middle – Natasha Bedingfield
    Without the Girl – Daniel Bedingfield (Natasha’s brother)
    Spice Up Your Life – Spice Girls
    Saturday Night – Spice Girls
    Sexy Back – Justin Timberlake
    Kick Push – Lupe Fiasco
    GoldDigger – Kanye West
    Single Ladies – Beyonce
    Anyway You Want It – Journey
    Philadelphia Freedom – Elton John
    Bennie & The Jets – Elton John

I just LOVE music! I’m smiling right now while I’m typing this list… But I’ll stop for now, tee, hee, hee…

26. Brenda on July 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I bookmarked this blog post a while back, with the intention of revisiting. I’ve added a few of everyone’s selections to my own list – thank you all!

Here’s a handful of my own mood lifters – hope you enjoy some of them. :)

You Gotta Be – Des’ree

More Than a Woman — The Bee Gees
    Superfly — Curtis Mayfield
    I’m So Glad — Cream
    Shamanic Journey — Anugama
    World Hold On — Bob Sinclar

and…most recently:

Play that Funky Music as performed by Nicholas David and Cee Lo Green!

My Free Ebook: from Amazon’s Top 10 List

Download here & also receive the rave review newsletter.

Get New Posts Emailed