How do you know whether you’re shooting for an authentic target or not? Here’s an exercise from Michael Neill’s “You Can Have What You Want” that’ll help you know your truth:
Imagine you retire to a tropical island with unlimited wealth and the sex symbol of your choice. Now imagine you’ve been doing that for five years and you’re bored out of your mind.
- What do you want to do next?
- What did you want to do before you “grew up” and “got real”?
- What would you do if no one else would ever find out?
- What would you do if it was entirely up to you?
- What would you do if nobody minded?
- What would be even better than that?
Your answers to these questions offer insight to your true desire.
My personal test for knowing when I’m on authentic track is an instant genuine smile as I think about my goal or intention. That’s a sure sign for me that this one is truly “mine” and not just a “safe” goal.